I have the tendency to get obsessively interested in a subject for 2 weeks, get bored, and then move on to something else. For instance I have just started learning about chess and find myself extremely interested in it at the moment but know it will most likely pass soon. In the last year I have looked at window farms, cooking, entrepreneurship (I started a muse business), tea, classic books (such as huckleberry Finn and Waldon), graphic novels... you get the idea!

The point is that most the time I do not find myself repeating the same topics again or express much interest towards them. It might be more that I enjoy learning the topics but not going in depth.

I was wondering, is there a name for this tendency? Is this a trait found more often in men than women? I don't really find it a problem, if anything it is beneficial because it pushes me to learn new things. But nonetheless I am curious if there is a name for this behaviour.


That's great that you have this ability -- it's your "special power".

I don't believe there is a special term for "intense preoccupations with narrow subjects", but such behavior is a common, but not necessary, feature of Asperger Syndrome or AD.

AD does occur more often in men than women. According to this paper, prevalence in men is between 2-4X greater than in women.

  • $\begingroup$ If you say I have a special power then I won't disagree! :) $\endgroup$ – eniacAvenger Sep 27 '14 at 23:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.