I posted this question on SE English:

Antonym for ameliorate

I had been trying to recall a word and it's recollection kept evading me.

I remembered the word as soon as I posted the question; which was when I gave up trying to recall it.

What is the scientific term and process by where a person cannot recall something and then remembers it when they stop trying?