More and more often I read in papers, that an online survey has been conducted through Facebook. What I have yet to understand is how this can best be done. I understand that Facebook allows the creation of a survey app that allows surveys to be embedded in fan pages or timelines. Thus, I have many little questions:
- How and where do the existing Facebook survey apps (like https://de-de.facebook.com/simple.surveys) store their data? How does this comply with scientific privacy and data security concerns?
- Which apps are best, and why?
- I would like to run the actual survey on my own website. Is it possible to embed an external website in a Facebook app?
- How can I implement a survey that does not need the test subject to allow the app access to profile data?
- Since there is no way to advertise a survey on Facebook, except by having someone use it and let his friends know that he uses it, how do you, who have conducted surveys through Facebook, find a large enough and random enough sample? Or: How do you advertise your survey?
My overall question is
Regardless of the little questions above, I'm interested in:
- What is an effective way to conduct surveys using Facebook?
- Are there any existing tutorials that describe best practice?