In humans and most two eyed species, eye movements synchronize so that both eyes are focused on the same point. This facilitates 3D vision significantly, allowing bifocal cues. I remember reading a bit about this but I can't recall the actual term or any related words I would use to find more information on the phenomenon.

What is this "synchronization" called?


binocular coordination

Linked below is a general overview of binocular coordination which also describes how, due to independent saccades events, mammalian eyes are generally not actually very well "synchronized".

Kirkby JA, Webster LA, Blythe HI, Liversedge SP. (2008) Binocular coordination during reading and non-reading tasks. Psychol Bull. 134(5):742-63


| improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ I'm also seeing binocular fusion and convergence coming up; are those basically synonyms or distinct concepts? $\endgroup$ – Ben Brocka Feb 6 '13 at 22:07
  • $\begingroup$ Convergence refers specifically to eyes pointing more toward each other as objects enter nearfield, fusion is when each eye has its own image but a single image is perceived. $\endgroup$ – Keegan Keplinger Feb 6 '13 at 22:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.