The basis of my experiment are 4 neutral text snippets. For each text snippet, I create an uncertain and a certain version so that I have a total of 8 text snippets (2 versions for each text snippet, 1 certain and 1 uncertain version). The "version" of the text is the IV.

Now, the participants are randomly shown 4 text snippets at the same time (always 2 uncertain and 2 certain text snippets). The participants are asked to indicate if they perceive the text snippet as uncertain or not (DV).

On the one hand, I have a within-subject design because each participant sees uncertain and certain versions of text snippets. On the other hand, I have a between-subject design because a participant only sees either the certain or the uncertain version of a text snippet.

In my analysis, I will first examine the difference between the uncertain and certain versions in general (I sum up the results of the certain and the uncertain versions and compare the results). Then, I will examine the difference between the uncertain and certain versions of each text snippet.

My question is: What is the name of that setting? Is that setting a crossover-design?


1 Answer 1


If I understand your description correctly, you have one within-subject factor with two levels (certain/uncertain) and one between-subject factor (based on how you assign the different text snippets to different group, but I'm not sure I understand what exactly you are doing there). So, this would be a repeated-measures design with different groups (based on the assignment of different text snippets) which I would refer to as is a mixed design (https://www.discoveringstatistics.com/statistics-hell-p/porus-comparing-means/mixed-designs/), and you could analyse it, e.g., with a mixed ANOVA (https://statistics.laerd.com/spss-tutorials/mixed-anova-using-spss-statistics.php). I think crossover-design refers to something similar.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.