I'm a layman in psychology; and lately I've been experiencing some changes in my way of thinking which happened cyclically throughout my life.

Many times in my life, it happened that a concept in my mind gradually changed its connotation from good to bad, but, since I originally liked it and wanted (consciously) to have it back positively, it would eventually go back to its original reputation. In fact, I'm experiencing it now with engineering, after a series of misfortunes and failures in the field. I wonder if somebody has laid a systematic approach to this phenomenom and what its name is.

put on hold as off-topic by Fizz, AliceD yesterday

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    Preferences change over time? Not all observations need a name. – Steven Jeuris Aug 8 at 8:00
  • This is much more specific than "preferences change over time". And I disagree that the phenomenom described doesn't need a name or a more in-depth attention. Through that process I have reversed some traumas I had throughout my life, which is a very valuable hack I think. If there were a more structured approach to it, you could basically turn a deep scar into an enjoyable activity. – Philippe Fanaro Aug 8 at 18:04
  • I would expect that there should be related studies in deep trauma field, idk. – Philippe Fanaro Aug 8 at 18:05
  • Are you simply talking about cognitive "talk" therapy, like CBT and so forth? I don't remember anyone positing a deep phenomenon with a special name that enables therapy. – Fizz Aug 9 at 2:19
  • Also, there are limits to this, e.g. despite how much some have tried, evidence doesn't support that one can change (say) sexual orientation by thinking about [changing] it. On the other hand, some phobias can be reasonably well extinguished, but it usually takes a bit more than mere thinking. – Fizz Aug 9 at 2:27

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.