I am a computer programmer or computer engineer, and am interested in comparing the brain to a classical computer in some way. How well does this comparison hold up?
This is a general introduction to the computer/brain metaphor and its practical limitations. Similar questions on this forum include:
- Difference between parallel processing done by human brain and by computers
- How does the brain generate answers to questions?
- What is the data structure used by the brain to store data?
- How is information stored in the brain
- How the Brain Does Garbage Collection in Real Time
- How does a human classify or cluster data?
- Human brain v/s computer: speed comparison?
- Does the brain have a 'debugging mode'?
- Why can't we use 100% of the brain in a certain moment?
- Is it possible to increase the capacity of human brain like “Lucy”?
- In what ways do our brains use compression?
- How many possible states does a brain have?
- What is the capacity of the human brain?