I am interested in learning how best to learn a fine motor skill, in this case, playing a musical instrument. Presumably there are more or less effective ways to go about it.
Possible factors that I can think of include:
- Practice schedule. e.g. how often? how long? time of day? how long does it take for the neural changes to occur? does it happen during rest?
- Practice structure. e.g. include breaks? how long between breaks? how long should each break be? how many breaks?
- Practice speed. e.g do something slowly first? how slowly? for how long? when to increase speed?
- Practise focus. Are there things that are worth specifically directing attention to?
- Non practise elements. Are there things that can be done outside of practising that help, e.g. visualisation? other exercises?
I appreciate that this is many questions rolled up into one, but my main point is how do I go about learning how best to learn fine motor skills, ideally outside of a teaching institution. Is there a good book on the subject? What even is the name of this subject?