99% of the time I use in the conversation (or when I am thinking) the phrase "it sounds" instead of "it tastes" when I am talking about the food, or drinks, etc.

For example: "This coffee sounds very good.", "I like how this hamburger sounds."

I do not do it intentionally, sometimes I "say" it in my head and then say out loud the "normal" version.

Has this something a name? Or this is probably just my association and there is nothing to it?

EDIT: And recently I have used it in sentence: "I wonder how this will play." (of course it was about the food, but this time I wondered how it will SMELL)

  • $\begingroup$ Generally questions like this are off topic because it refers to a specific person but if it wasn't referring to a person it would be a bit vague or even broad. If the question was narrowed down a bit the question could possibly be answered. You could be talking about a number of things $\endgroup$ Mar 9, 2017 at 22:03
  • $\begingroup$ So, I am sorry for the OT. Can you help me narrow it down with some additional questions? I know that I do not have a synesthesia. And I do not know how can I be more specific, or if you want, we can move to the private conversation... Thanks! $\endgroup$
    – Kamil
    Mar 9, 2017 at 22:57

1 Answer 1


Has this something a name?

In general Speech Errors

In your case (Depends on context and your particulars) it could be considered semantic substitution,(a correct word is substituted with an erroneous but similar word) although verbs seem to be rare and it happens more with nouns. (Hotopf 1980's).


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.