I have speculated for a long time that brain waves could be the "location" of human consciousness or indeed the "soul". My argument for this is the following:
- They vary with different states of consciousness, like dreaming.
- They cover the brain as a whole and have provides coherence like the perception of time
- I heard about an experiment with a man with severe secures that had his brain cut of in two with no neural connections. He didn't get a split personality and could perform functions that involved both halves of the brain. That told me that there couldn't be a completely neural explanation to consciousness. So which other mechanism do we know that could bridge that gap and provide a coherent self awareness combining the two brain halves: brain waves.
- They may appear simple on the outside of the scull but on the inside they could display very rich characteristics.
- Neural nets does not have brain waves and doesn't exhibit any signs of consciousness even though they have some kind of intelligence.
What kind of experiment could validate this hypothesis?
What does research say on this matter?
What do you think about this idea in general?